Re: monochrome cards

From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>Actually, you'd be insane to put a MCA card in a server (you'd have to get
>it second hand and so on). They generally slow down the machine because of
>the limits they place on the ISA bus and require special mca screens!

When you're only running at 30-40 MHz anyway, how much could the video
card slow down the ISA bus?... :-)  Also, the MCA monitors aren't
"special," just incompatible with the (now) much more common CGA and
VGA cards.

>I wonder if you can probe the kernel to find out if it is using a MCA
>card, it actually does know (diff memory address)..

If someone wants to try out some software on my system, let me know.
I can easily upgrade its kernel to 2.0.33.

Bear Giles
bear@coyotesong.com