Re: monochrome cards

On 30 Apr, Raul Miller wrote:
> Bear Giles <bear@coyotesong.com> wrote:
>> That said, I can't see anyone using a MCA card as his primary
>> interface.
>
> I can see this, or serial console, being used for a server.
>
> Also, don't forget the sorts of interfaces blind people use...
>

> Berr Giles also wrote:
> I certainly wouldn't have objected if I had to install
> a VGA card to run the installation program.  How much space would
> be saved if the MCA code is dropped?

I suspect, not much space at all, since that should be something in the
kernel console code.  I just installed Debian on a spare parts machine
(i.e., one built out of spare parts that nobody else wanted plus some
old stuff I had from a machine that died last year) and I only have a
monochrome monitor available to use on it.  Ripping the display off my
laptop is not an option, nor is stealing the 60 pound monitor from
school and taking it home while I install Debian an option.  I for one
am happy for the monochrome option.

Just my $0.02, in case anybody cares.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College