Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 06:36:37PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> While I agree with much of what you say about the need for policy to be
> clear, I will continue to urge caution when being dictatorial about
> policy.
>
> I only disagree with Manoj's characterization of my position. I have never
> said "Ignore policy if it suits you". What I have called for is a reasoned
> application of "The Policy Statement", which represents the current set of
> written policies.

When I wrote I agree with Manoj, I meant his technical position, not the
way he interpreted the position of you or other people. However, I think you
know that already...

> For example, the "stripped binaries" rule in the policy statement is fine
> with me. I don't see it as "broken" the way Manoj has suggested, because
> we have an unwritten policy against delivering broken packages. I see the
> unwritten policy as having a higher priority than the "stripped binaries"
> policy as written.

Dwarf, I really enjoy learning. Reading the Debian list, I learn more than I
would learn elsewhere. Reading Stroustrups fantastic book about the C++
programming language, I learn a lot. Reading the policy manual I learn a lot
of things about making a distribution.

I'm not very experienced (I have two years or so experience with Linux, and
one year of it with Debian). I try to do it right, but I'm sure I'm messing
up things quite often. I try my best, but if the policy manual says I have
to strip binaries, I'll strip them, as it sounds correct.

Obviously, I do not maintain a package where this does not work, but I would
like to *know* about the exceptions, so that I am aware of them.

[snipped]
I do not comment on the changelog issue. In general, the policy should be
unambigouus (little room for interpretation avoids confusion. This does not
mean that there is no flexibility, but the policy should state it where
other solutions are okay, too), and exceptions should be recorded.

Marcus