Re: installation report of hamm 26.4.

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 09:22:20PM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> f) xserver offered my to "configure now". this failed, because not everything
> 	was installed, so it could not work.

Can you be more specific?

There is nothing in the xserver postinst that demands the presence of
xbase.  I assume makedev and libc6 were installed and configured.  Were
they?  They're both essential, so I assume they must have been.

> h) xbase: some files were already there, but empty (Xserver). maybe this has
> 	todo with f). many people had problems with bo, when /etc/init.d/xdm
> 	did exist, but was empty, and they did not press "I" to replace it.
> 	now the same thing again ?

What version of xbase was this?  Sounds like it must be 3.3.2-3 or earlier.

If /et/X11/Xserver was empty, how did your machine know to look for the
Mach64 server when starting X (below)?

> h) xserver installation. the user needs your help !
> 	i didn't know, what xserver i need, so i installed only vga16,
> 	so XF86Setup will tell me more. result : fatal.
> 	the first time it failed because mach64 server was not installed.

XF86Setup depends only on the VGA16 server.  XFree86 3.3.2-4 always backs
up the /etc/X11/XF86ConfConfig file.

> this will confuse users !
> 	i suggest to do an appropiate "echo xserver-<server>|dpkg
> 	--set-selection" call, save the default config, and ask the user
> 	to run dpkg again and continue later.

This is a very poor solution.  I think 3.3.2-4 solves this.

> ok, so i had to care about this myself, and started xf86setup later again,
> 	doing the whole configuration again... this time i got :
>
> missing close-brace
> ("if" then script line 1)
> while compiling
> 	"if {![getline]} { ..."
> 	(file "/ ... /phase5.tcl" line 26)
> 	invoked within "source /.../phase5.tcl"

This is harmless (as you can see, the XF86Config file is created anyway),
but fixed in 3.3.2-4.

> XF86Config was written, but Xserver was not modified.

Xserver is not modified by XF86Setup, it is modified by the xserver package
postinst.

> xdm-start-server was not listed in /etc/X11/config.
> calling xbase-configure did not help. this script should assist the user in
> such stuff, because the debian way to do these things is only known to some
> hackers.

In XFree86 3.3.2-4, you may invoke /usr/sbin/xbase-configure with the
"force" argument.

XFree86 3.3.2-4 ships with xdm configured to start a local server, if the
user configures XDM to run at all.

> ok, at least xbase-configure changed the xdm/Xserver file, after i added
> the "xdm-start-server" line.
> btw: this seems to be redundant information to me.

All this is changed in XFree86 3.3.2-4.  The xdm-start-server option has
been placed in limbo, and nothing edits /etc/X11/xdm/Xserver anymore; it
must be edited by hand.  Detailed instructions are now inside that file to
facilitate the process.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 | If you wish to strive for peace of soul,
Purdue University                   | then believe; if you wish to be a