Possible DoS attack with new IPlogger release

Hi.

The new version of IPlogger offers a new feature: when there is a TCP
connection attempt, "user@host" is now logged instead of "host".

However, if strobe is run on localhost, a connection to identd is done
at each connection, and then the auth service is disabled after about
60 connections:

Apr 28 22:10:56 voodoo inetd[121]: auth/tcp server failing (looping),
service terminated

After a few minutes (say 15 minutes), inetd restarts the auth service.

This means that identd can be "killed" if a user runs strobe on the server.

As I do not really see how to solve the problem, except by disabling
this feature which is more or less the only difference between version
1.0 and version 1.1, I'd like to know if this problem is considered a
critical one or not. In other words, do I have to package this version
or not?

I have warned the author about this problem, but he seems to consider
it as a minor problem, so I don't expect a new version soon...

Regards,

Hugo

--
Hugo Haas         <Hugo.Haas@via.ecp.fr>     <http://www.via.ecp.fr/~hugo/>
PGP2 key id 0x8a5af90d, fingerprint 45AB 8D24 B3E4 C9DD E85C 25C8 DB0B BFA3