creating hamm cdroms

it's not an easy task. dpkg/dselect make everything complex,
in fact i have no idea how these can work with the binaries split on two
cdroms. also, they don't work if only "frozen" is present, and not stable.
i have written Makefiles (much nicer then the old shell scripts) to create the
cdroms, but i have some open questions.

 - how to handle two binary cdroms.
 - how did you split debian on two cd's ? i would like to have a 2 cd official
   debian cd setp, so i can add a third "plus" cdrom with non-free, non-US,
   and fill the remaining space with mirrors (kernel, netscape, kde ...)

my experience with new mkisofs (with joilet supprt) is, that -x doesn't work.
i found a solution : create a new directory as cd root, and copy everything
into that dir useing hardlinks. this doesn't waste a log of disk space,
and makes severel things easier.

i would like to hear your experience.
i'm currently enhanceing my Makefiles, and will post them here.

andreas