Re: X and Window Mangers

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 11:40:17AM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:
>
> > Remember, /etc/X11/window-managers is *only* used if the person using
> > startx or logging in with XDM has no ~/.xsession file, which I image most
> > experienced X users have.
>
> Will there be a way for a user to change his wm without copying over
> the whole .xssession? Maybe a .window-manager? I think that would be
> useful, since there are many people who insist on a particular window
> manager, but don't want to change anything else.

There's no need to copy /etc/X11/Xsession. That file "exec"s the user's
$HOME/.xsession if there's one.

The user may have just the following two lines in his .xsession:
#!/bin/sh
exec <your-favourite-wm>

(add a "xterm -sl 500 -sb -ls -fn 10x20 -j &" line before the exec if you
want an open xterm on startup).
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es