Re: RFC: dpkg and handling of the Unconfigured state

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>  > Well, I have not observed that dpkg is capable of placing guarentees on
>  > the dependency state during the *rm scripts. Alot of packages make use of
>  > their dependents during their removal which leads the the problem that you
>  > can no longer upgrade without configuring alot of stuff as it is unpacked.
>
> Ah.  That may be another problem, which probably comes from the fact
> that dpkg is not able to do multiple install/configure cycles in one
> run.  Once that is fixed, I think the problem you mention will go
> away.  Right ?

No, I'm assuming that dpkg would be changed to consider dependencies for
the *rm scripts, the side effect is a fairly substantial change to how
dpkg will need to install things.

Bascially we loose alot of the delayed configuration stuff with an idea
like this.

Jason