Re: Proposed Constitution

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 06:05:51PM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> > include the plural".  Then all of the clumsy constructions using
> > plural pronouns (they, their) to refer to singular entities (Leader,
> > Secretary, etc.) should be changed to use singular masculine pronouns
> > (him, his).
>
> "They" is not only a singular, it is also widely accepted as a singular
> pronoun, and has been used as such by not only ordinary people but also
> great writers for hundreds of years.

I am sorry to burst that bubble, but do you care to centest that argument
with my english teacher?

"they" is a plural non-gender pronoun. When writing in formal english, it
is required thatspecific formal pronouns be used. E.G. "The President will
be ........ (blablabla). He will also... (blablabla)". One thing that IS
accepted is the use of masculine pronouns to represent both genders.
However, some view this as sex discrimination.
	Hence, everybody is in a very awkward position. Write gramatically
incorrect documents, discriminatory documents; even better, lace
your documents with useless replacement phrases. An example of the last,
replacing the second sentence in my previous display, would go as such:
"The person who holds this position will also ... (blablabla)". Following
this method insures that everybody will be happy, but puts extreme
pressure on the writer not do provoke anybody carelessly.
	Who will take something seriously if its main constitution is
riddled with grammatical errors? Who of the same will take it seriously if
it is discriminatory? Who, then, will read it if it is twice as long as it
needs to be?

	I say everybody is too paranoid. Who cares what it looks like? Do
it effectively and use the most common method, whoever's toes it steps on.
Don't be afraid to put "he" because somebody will surely slander you for
your nievety.

Enough of my ramblings ;)

Aaron Van Couwenberghe -- vanco@sonic.net, aaronvanc@hotmail.com
|---> Debian GNU/Linux: http://www.debian.org  ftp://ftp.debian.org <-----\