Re: consistency check

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 06:11:25PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 09:26:24AM +0200, erikyyy@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de wrote:
>
> > i am always not sure, wether my system is OK. :) sometimes it might be
> > useful to do a new installation (no update) only because then much of the
> > old unneeded rubbish is gone.
>
> *shudder*
>
> Reboots are for new kernels.

And for libc5-libc6 transition ;) Well, I always amnage to crash something
when mangeling with svgamode, X and dosemu, I hope ggi will be an integral
solution here.

> Reinstalls are for new computers.

I get your point and Debian is aiming at that (and is doing a pretty good
job). I even had success avoiding a reinstall when I crashed the root
partition (/etc without backup!). This shows how great Debian is.

However, two things come to mind: a) Testing purposes (developers only) and
b) Repartitioning (here you have a good chance for a reinstall, because
moving the root directories across partitions can be a pain, if you don't
know your tools well (/dev and /proc comes to mind)).

I still find your two rules of thumb very well said, I'm just a little
verbose today and am only chatting ;)

Have a nice day,
Marcus