Re: consistency check

On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 06:11:25PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
[...]
> In particular, it checks that all the files listed as alternatives, as
> diversions and in the dpkg database itself are all present and accounted
> for, and produces a list of things that weren't listed but are still on
> your system, and things that were listed, but aren't. It also takes into
> account symlinks (if you've got a symlink from /usr/tmp to /var/tmp, it'll
> complain if /var/tmp doesn't exist, for example), user home directories
> (it'll make sure that everything in /home/aj is owned by aj, for example),
> and a couple of other things.
>
> It's still a work in progress -- in particular there are bunches of files
> that are created when packages are installed but dpkg is never told about
> (/etc/passwd is one example), which cruft doesn't cope with too well at the
> moment -- but it's a start, at least.

That's the reason why I would like to see a

dpkg --{remove,add}-files [--package <package>] <files...>

option to dpkg. I think it's simple to implement <just add/remove entry
to the package .list file> and can ease the task for securing local files
<by let it provides a "local" default package> from dpkg in addition
to help checking the system.

> --
> Anthony Towns <aj@humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
> I don't speak for anyone save myself. PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>
>       ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''

Fabien Ninoles                                  Running Debian/GNU Linux
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                      http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
WorkStation [available when connected!]:     http://nightbird.tzone.org/
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70