Re: less: extra entries for lesspipe

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 04:15:51PM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> David Welton wrote:
> > One of the things I like about Linux, and Unix in general, is that it
> > doesn't try to be smart where you don't expect it to.
>
> But when you say, 'less binfile', what do you expect it to do?

Show me the contents of the file.  If I want to interpret those
contents before I see them, then I'll pipe them.  If not, then I
expect it to do little else.

> I had thought that the idea of lesspipe is to have less give you more
> useful information when you use it on different types of files-- gzip for
> gz files, tar -t for tar files, groff for manpages, etc...  If I _wanted_
> to look at the raw data of a gzipped file, I could do it.  But how often
> do I want to do that?

It sounds like a handy little program, maybe we should give it a
different name, like 'nless' or something similiar.  We already have a
zless, so, why not build on that and just use a different name.  Or is
there something that I am missing because of my late entry into the
discussion (sorry)?

Thanks,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org