Re: Image names "rescue" and "default" was: Re: April 11th bootdisks - major failure

On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 07:13:32PM +0100, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 02:03:26PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > Enrique, could you *please* fix the help screens? They say you should boot
> > "default options=value" and "rescue options=value", but they are not there!
> > I had to use "linux" in all cases, and it took me quite a while to figure it
> > out.
>
> The wierd thing is that rescue _is_ there:

Oh, well. You are right. This is really weird.

> syslinux.cfg:
[snipped]

> It worked fine with older versions of syslinux, and now it doesn't work,
> although /usr/doc/syslinux/syslinux.doc.gz says nothing about changing
> the syntax of this file. Don't you love this kind of bugs?

Yeah, I like them exceptionally much. And you can debug them *soo* easy...
Hopefully the syslinux maintainer knows more...

> > (What is the status of adaptec 2940 support, btw? Older boot disks hang
> > during boot...)
>
> It seems they still hang. It's a problem with our curren kernel
> (kernel-image-2.0.33_2.0.33-6.deb) but as I don't own an adpatec card, I
> don't know what to do to fix that.

Well, it seems that the probing confuses the drive... I try again, but I
think I remember that in the middle of the adaptec driver output, the
Western Digital 7000 driver yells that he can't find a drive. I'm not sure
if tehy are related. I will probably do some testing, but I don't own a scsi
card, too (this machine is in a firm).

A not so good hack would be an alternate kernel for Adaptec only. We need
this if the issue can't be resolved, or we have to remove the Adaptec
driver. This would make installation on a SCSI-only machine impossible,
though :-/

> I'm CCing the syslinux and kernel maintainers, to see if they can help.

Hopefully they know more. Thank you very much Enrique!

Marcus