Re: April 11th bootdisks - major failure

Chris Fearnley <cjf@i21.com> writes:
> Hoo boy, I've been having bad luck with the bootdisks.
>
> This time, After I hit [ENTER] to load the ramdisks, the system hangs with
> the floppy drive light lit after displaying "Loading root.bin..."
>
> Note the three dots.  I take the same boot disk and it works like a charm
> on another system.

I don't recall having to press enter to continue, i guess you're using the
1.2m disks. Regardless, try another floppy. The instructions talk this, the
BIOS disk reading code is a lot less robust than the normal drivers and often
has problems reading marginal disks.

I had a different problem, after finishing the entire sequence I rebooted and
saw the very frightening:

 Invalid partition table

I rebooted with the rescue disk and tried to use the rescue image but got
something to the effect that there was no such image. When I used the regular
image and ran fdisk and saved the partition table from there it was ok. My
confidence in cfdisk is correspondingly lowered.

greg