Re: Image names "rescue" and "default" was: Re: April 11th bootdisks - major failure

On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 02:03:26PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 11:02:51PM -0400, Gregory S. Stark wrote:
> >
> > I rebooted with the rescue disk and tried to use the rescue image but got
> > something to the effect that there was no such image. When I used the regular
> > image and ran fdisk and saved the partition table from there it was ok.
>
> Enrique, could you *please* fix the help screens? They say you should boot
> "default options=value" and "rescue options=value", but they are not there!
> I had to use "linux" in all cases, and it took me quite a while to figure it
> out.

The wierd thing is that rescue _is_ there:

syslinux.cfg:

# see /usr/doc/syslinux/readme.gz for file format description
DEFAULT linux
APPEND load_ramdisk=1 initrd=root.bin
TIMEOUT 0
DISPLAY debian.txt
PROMPT 1
F1 f1.txt
F2 f2.txt
F3 f3.txt
F4 f4.txt
F5 f5.txt
F9 f9.txt
F0 f10.txt
LABEL initrd
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND load_ramdisk=1 initrd=root.bin
LABEL ramdisk
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND noinitrd load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 root=/dev/fd0
LABEL ramdisk0
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND noinitrd load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 root=/dev/fd0
LABEL ramdisk1
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND noinitrd load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1 root=/dev/fd1
LABEL floppy
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND 	noinitrd root=/dev/fd0
LABEL floppy0
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND 	noinitrd root=/dev/fd0
LABEL floppy1
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND 	noinitrd root=/dev/fd1
LABEL rescue
	APPEND noinitrd
	KERNEL linux
LABEL lowmem
	KERNEL linux
	APPEND 	noinitrd root=/dev/fd0
LABEL lowmemboot
	APPEND noinitrd
	KERNEL linux

It worked fine with older versions of syslinux, and now it doesn't work,
although /usr/doc/syslinux/syslinux.doc.gz says nothing about changing
the syntax of this file. Don't you love this kind of bugs?

> (What is the status of adaptec 2940 support, btw? Older boot disks hang
> during boot...)

It seems they still hang. It's a problem with our curren kernel
(kernel-image-2.0.33_2.0.33-6.deb) but as I don't own an adpatec card, I
don't know what to do to fix that.

I'm CCing the syslinux and kernel maintainers, to see if they can help.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es