Re: April 11th bootdisks - major failure

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 11:02:51PM -0400, Gregory S. Stark wrote:

> Chris Fearnley <cjf@i21.com> writes:
> > Hoo boy, I've been having bad luck with the bootdisks.
> >
> > This time, After I hit [ENTER] to load the ramdisks, the system hangs with
> > the floppy drive light lit after displaying "Loading root.bin..."
> >
> > Note the three dots.  I take the same boot disk and it works like a charm
> > on another system.
>
> I don't recall having to press enter to continue, i guess you're using the
> 1.2m disks. Regardless, try another floppy. The instructions talk this, the
> BIOS disk reading code is a lot less robust than the normal drivers and often
> has problems reading marginal disks.

I guess my report was incomplete.  I hit [ENTER] when it asks for kernel
command-line options.  Then it trys loading ramdisks.  That is when
the system hung.  I tried three floppies.  One was bad.  Two gave the
effect indicated.  And the floppy works on another machine.  They were
1.44M floppies.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Internet21 Network Engineering
cjf@i21.com                      |  Design Science Revolutionary