Re: bzip2 for source packages?

James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:
> Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@law.miami.edu> writes:
> > Might I suggest that using it for source packaging would be
> > appropriate, though?
> By recompressing things in bzip2, you lose the ability to use pristine
> upstream source (since the vast majority of source stills comes in
> .tar.gz form).

That's a good point, one I hadn't thought of.

> Having said that, I'm a lot less opposed to this idea than I am to the
> idea of using bzip2 for debs.

Well, perhaps it would be nice to have it as an option for things
where either we can't use pristine source anyway, or those rare, but
often meaningful, occasions where it's supported upstream (linux
kernel, maybe xfree one day...).

Besides, considering the glacial pace of dpkg development, you won't
have to take a decided stance any time soon. :-)

Mike.

P.S. As a total aside, I got quinn-diff-0.30 working on the alpha,
created a fmirror configuration for maintaing a source-only mirror and
cobbled together a script to automate recompiling out of date packages
from the aforementioned mirror.  It's churning as I write this.