bzip2 for source packages?

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> writes:
> The bzip2 tool is vastly less well deployed than gzip, so you'd be
> making it much harder for folks not running Debian boxes to play.
> You would also have to add bzip2 to the base/essential list in
> Debian, and it's not clear to me that having two compression engines
> in base is a good use of floppy space.  Put me on record as not
> being thrilled about this proposal.

Might I suggest that using it for source packaging would be
appropriate, though?  I have several reasons:

1) It is my understanding that bzip2 would do the most good there (it
shaves what, 3MB off the linux kernel source?), it wouldn't be a big
change, and I'm sure everyone who's ever downloaded the X source would
thank us...

2) It is more obvious, in that you now have orig.bz2 and diff.bz2.

3) I don't think anyone's doing packaging on terribly low-memory
machines.

Does this strike people as more reasonable?

Mike.