Re: Dictionary Packages

On Sat, Apr 11, 1998 at 10:23:45PM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      I would like to package these eight dictionaries to accompany
> dictd, but if there is a policy against such large text packages, I
> could make installer packages to format and install the tarballs that
> are available for anonymous ftp from the Dict Group's site.

Personally I'd prefer to have additional packages
dictd-web1913, dictd-foldoc, dictd-... (depending on dictd),
so that I could omit the bible-related stuff on my computer and
to have a better granularity.
The only drawback, would be that you'd need to write a
`dictd-install' script which modifies /etc/dictd.conf.

Installer-packages are IMO view a bad idea (but this is from a personal
viewpoint):
1. they should only be necessary for non-DFSG software,
2. people with bad connectivity and/or high-priced local telephone
   companies (e.g. living in Europe :), shouldn't be forced to
   download 40MB+ software individually.

>      The largest, and most important, of these dictionaries has a
> copyright that is not DFSG compliant.  I have been corresponding with
> the author, however, and expect to have a version that is DFSG
> compliant within a few weeks.
Nice!

David