Dictionary Packages

     I have just packaged dictd, containing client/server software for
accessing dictionaries.  To do anything useful, the server must have
dictionaries and indices in a suitable format.

     There are eight dictionaries available from the same site that
provides the source for the client/server software.  These
dictionaries total about 32 mb in compressed form.  Two of them, which
amount to about 24 mb, are essential for a satisfactory server, but it
would be highly desirable to have all installed.

     Is there any policy regarding large text packages?  I can not
find anything on this subject in the Policy Manual, but I remember
that Ian Jackson has expressed his disapproval of large text packages
that are not documentation.  One person has suggested to me that
introducing such bloat into the distribution would be undesirable.

     I would like to package these eight dictionaries to accompany
dictd, but if there is a policy against such large text packages, I
could make installer packages to format and install the tarballs that
are available for anonymous ftp from the Dict Group's site.

     The use of installer packages would reduce the size of the
archive by about 60 mb, including source, but it would penalize those
users who have slow or no net access, or who exorbitant telephone and
Internet access rates.

     The largest, and most important, of these dictionaries has a
copyright that is not DFSG compliant.  I have been corresponding with
the author, however, and expect to have a version that is DFSG
compliant within a few weeks.

     I would like comments from the developers about the desirability
of packaging these dictionaries.  Is this a subject that should be
raised on policy?

Bob
--
   _