Re: Upgrading from bo to hamm

Guy Maor wrote:

> "LeRoy D. Cressy" <ldc@netaxs.com> writes:
>
> > I question the purpose of leaving broken symbolic links when
> > upgrading the libraries.  For instance libreadline2 leaves
> > the following broken links reported by ldconfig:
>
> Those symlinks are part of libreadline2-dev.  If you upgrade to
> libreadline2-altdev, then the links will be fixed.

I realize that when you upgrade the *-altdev libraries in the
oldlibs directory will fix the errors, but what I am suggesting
across the board is that is an updated package breaks some
symbolic links, then the post install script should run
symlinks -d on the /lib and the /usr/lib directories prior to
running ldcongig.

This approach will help everyone when upgrading their bo system
to a hamm system.

I am not just asking for an immediate fix, but proposing a
method that will not return error messages that might scare the
novice that is attempting to upgrade their system.

Without these measures installed, a novice that will attempt to use
dselect to upgrade his or her system could really break their existing
system.  This ought not to be.

Enough preaching for now,
Have a great day :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037