Re: Upgrading from bo to hamm

Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 09-Apr-98, 22:04 (CDT), Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > "LeRoy D. Cressy" <ldc@netaxs.com> writes:
> >
> > > I question the purpose of leaving broken symbolic links when
> > > upgrading the libraries.  For instance libreadline2 leaves
> > > the following broken links reported by ldconfig:
> >
> > Those symlinks are part of libreadline2-dev.  If you upgrade to
> > libreadline2-altdev, then the links will be fixed.
>
> There's the general problem that library symlinks aren't removed when
> the library is removed, thus leading to a buildup of "file not found"
> messages from ldconfig until I get tired of them and clean them out.
> Removing a library should remove all the symlinks as well.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is in fact the way it supposed to work, and
> it's just that I continually run into buggy packages, or whether this is
> something that needs to be added to policy (I guess I should go read the
> policy manual to see what it says...).
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve for taking the time to read what I was actually saying.

I feel that this is a problem that should be addressed across the
board when removing libraries and files.  Leaving dangling links
until the development portion of the library is upgraded is a BAD
idea

Have a great day :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037