Default /etc/profile

Hi All,

I've been following the discussion on the default profile
prompt.  When I first loaded Linux on my system I used a
Slackware version packaged with a book a couple of years ago.

Though Slackware had no upgradability at the time, I switched
debian.  But I noticed that Slackware provided for various
shells in use with the following:

if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/pdksh" -o "$SHELL" = "/bin/ksh" ]; then
 PS1="! $ "
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/zsh" ]; then
 PS1="%m:%~%# "
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ash" ]; then
 PS1="$ "
else
 PS1='\h:\w\$ '

This method gives a default prompt for users using different
shells that read the /etc/profile.  Why couldn't Debian use
a simular approach?

Have a good day :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037