Intent to create sfio package

Hello everyone,

This is a short note to let people know that I'm in the process of
packaging the Safe/Fast I/O library, otherwise known as sfio. It
provides an alternate to stdio as a C API for performing I/O. It's main
claim to fame is the ability to attach filters -- known as disciplines --
to I/O streams within the program.

So far i've make the needed changes to it to compile it correctly under
glibc2, and most of the packaging has been done. Currently undergoing
fine-tuning is the packing of example code. Not available is the stdio
binary-compatibility library, as it depends on a lot of libc internals
that have changed in glibc2. This shouldn't concern anyone as I doubt it
would perform better than glibc2's stdio.

I had high hopes for sfio at one stage, particularly as it provided a
neat way of pre-processing and post-processing I/O, and that a Perl
linked against sfio can use the FCGI.pm module for FastCGI support (a
huge performance-booster for Perl/CGI), but now with over a year since
the last upstream release, the fact that the code is bloated with so
many static variables as to make thread-safety impossible without a
total re-write, and that FCGI.pm may soon support glibc2, it's no longer
as promising as before.

Still, someone asked for it, I shall provide :-)

Cheers,

--
       Dennis Clark       dbugger@debian.org       PGP/MIME spoken here
Today's entry from the Jargon File:

       dec /dek/ /v./  Verbal (and only rarely written) shorthand
          for decrement, i.e. `decrease by one'.  Especially used by
          assembly programmers, as many assembly languages have a `dec'
          mnemonic.  Antonym: {inc}.