new packages

i finally got around to applying to become a debian developer. so i
want to announce here my intention to package the following programs:

f77reorder

  f77 compiler script calling f2c/gcc. Handles some fortran 77
  extensions by calling f77reorder to change the code.

vat

  The LBNL audio tool, vat, is a real-time, multi-party, multimedia
  application for audio conferencing over the Internet. Vat is based on
  the Draft Internet Standard Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP)
  developed by the IETF Audio/Video Transport working group. RTP is an
  application-level protocol implemented entirely within vat -- you need
  no special system enhancements to run RTP. Although vat can be run
  point-to-point using standard unicast IP addresses, it is primarily
  intended as a multiparty conferencing application. To make use of the
  conferencing capabilities, your system must support IP Multicast, and
  ideally, your network should be connected to the IP Multicast Backbone
  (MBone).
  .
  Vat provides only the audio portion of a multimedia conference; video,
  whiteboard, and session control tools are implemented as separate
  applications. Our video tool is called vic and our whiteboard tool wb,
  UCL developed the session directory tool sdr Other related
  applications include ISI's Multimedia Conference Control, mmcc, the
  Xerox PARC Network Video tool, nv and the INRIA Video-conferencing
  System, ivs.

xmmix

  Xmmix is an audio mixer utility for the X window system using the
  Motif graphical user interface. It operates the input and output
  mixer section on many PC sound cards.

xrn

  X11 USENET news reader, based on rn.

nt

  NTE is a shared text editor designed for use on the Mbone. It is not a
  word processor (it is not clear that word processing is a useful task
  to share) and it is not a whiteboard - if you want a whiteboard, wb
  from LBL is a much better whiteboard.
  .
  Using NTE can be very interactive - unless you lock a block of text,
  anyone else in your session can edit that text or delete it. This is
  intentional. Many people can (if they wish) edit the same document
  simultaneously. Many people can even edit the same block of text
  simultaneously, but if more than one person tries to edit the same
  line at one time, a conflict will occur, which results in only one of
  the changes being preserved.

and some of the packages which need an smotif/dmotif version and don't
have a maintainer yet (xmg, ddd, etc).

all these are already available by anonymous ftp from caliban.lbl.gov
in /pub/debian.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |