Re: [?] egcs increases C++ binary size dramatically

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 04:43:31PM +0200, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > I did not change any configuration options. I compiled the older package with
> > the latest GNU gcc/g++ 2.7.*, and the new one with egcc/eg++. xpdf makes
> > quite heavy use of C++, but as it worked with GNU g++ for years, I think we
> > can exclude templates, exceptions, ... And yes, the new one is stripped as
> > well.
> >
> > Isn't the size increase a bit much ?  Comments ?
>
> It's related to the fact that egcs does exception handling - add
> -fno-exceptions to your CFLAGS, and you'll get a shorter binary.

I think this is not the right way to think of C++ programming. If you don't
use exceptions, you are free to disable them, but they are really an
integrated feature in the standard. GNU g++ had poorly to none exception
handling, egcs does a better job here, but maybe it is not optimized for
size yet.

However, you can give the compiler a hint that a function does not throw any
exceptions by adding throw() at the right place:

class ABC {
  ABC (int theInt) throw();
}

for example. I don't know if egcs does make use of this promise by the
programmer, but it certainly should. Take the bigger binary as a sign that
the C++ support gets better. Maybe the size will go down again if it gets
again far more better.

Marcus