Re: [?] egcs increases C++ binary size dramatically

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998 01:01:46 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann
<Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

>> It's related to the fact that egcs does exception handling - add
>> -fno-exceptions to your CFLAGS, and you'll get a shorter binary.
>
>I think this is not the right way to think of C++ programming. If you don't
>use exceptions, you are free to disable them, but they are really an
>integrated feature in the standard. GNU g++ had poorly to none exception
>handling, egcs does a better job here, but maybe it is not optimized for
>size yet.

It seems that programs are larger even if they do not use exceptions
at all (possibly even C programs). For those, it seems totally
resonable to disable exceptions. It should probably even added to the
policy, since it saves space.

	Falk