Re: New APT Version

On 4 Apr 1998, Gregory S. Stark wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> > For those of you with high bandwidth links, I have measured about a
> > ~5% BPS (10k/s!) gain over ftp, and for those of you with high lag
> > the lack of handshaking also dramtically speeds things up.
>
> Oh I'm all for switching to HTTP. Can we convince all our mirrors to
> switch?

if apache is installed on the ftp server, then it's as simple as a few
lines like the following in /etc/apache/srm.conf:

Alias /debian/ /home/ftp/debian/
Alias /debian-non-US/ /home/ftp/debian-non-US/
Alias /debian-incoming/ /home/ftp/debian-incoming/

> > I would really like to get a list of mirrors in sources.list format ..
> > [would allow a much smarter seutp script]
>
> It should even be possible to have apt ping them all and choose one based on
> the rtt, ttl, and a hard coded list of preferences.

maybe also check for same domain. e.g. if i have 'debian.taz.net.au'
listed in my sources.list, i want apt to use that in preference to
ftp.debian.org.

possibly even compare top-level domains....i.e. a .au site should be
higher in priority for me than a .de site.

OTOH, i'll probably just remove all sites except for my local mirrors
from my sources.list.

> > > Going to germany from here is really unnecessary.
> >
> > Actually it is, ftp.de.debian.org is the only http enabled site I
> > know of that has the non-US archive.
>
> I intended to use a US archive for the main components and only use
> Germany for the non-us section.

i can provide a http enabled non-US site in australia....

craig

--
craig sanders