Re: Timezone messed up

"Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <vizzie@mail.airmail.net> writes:

>   JG> My computer's clock didn't adjust itself automatically with the
>   JG> timezone change.  I am in the Central time zone in the US.
>
>   JG> There seem to be a number of various timezone programs --
>   JG> /usr/sbin/timezoneconfig, tzselect, etc.  Which one should be
>   JG> used, and why are there several programs to do the same thing?
>   JG> Also, on other OSs, my timezone was often "CST6CDT".  Here it is
>   JG> "US/Central" or "US/Chicago".  Why the difference?
>
> Are you sure you're set to US/Central? Today, I noticed that my
> computer still thought it was CST. Checking /etc/timezone, it was set
> to SystemV/CST6CDT. Changing it to US/Central made my computer
> enlightened, so it noew believes it is CDT. :) (The real setting is in
> /etc/timezone).
<SNIP>

Well, had it been set to CST6CDT instead of SystemV/CST5CDT, it would
have switched accordingly.  For some reason SystemV/CST5CDT thinks
that the changeover happens on April 26th.  (zdump -v <timezonefile> |
less)

This also explains Dale Sheet's comment - his system switched because
it was (as is mine) EST5EDT, not SystemV/EST5EDT.