Re: 03-29 boot disks - worse than 02-20 for me :(

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 02:24:59PM -0400, Chris Fearnley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Executive summary:
> I had fatal, unsurmountable problems using the 03-29 boot disks.  I had
> to use the 02-20 disks for major parts of the install.  The first and
> third problems worked on the 02-20 disks and failed on the 03-29 disks.
> So things have gotten worse not better :(
>
> First:
> The rescue disk failed to format the first screen where one puts the
> kernel command line options.  And worse than that hitting [ENTER] to boot
> the kernel failed too -- it just hung there.  Hence I couldn't even boot
> with the "rescue" disk.  So I used the 02-20 bootdisk to partition the
> disk (it was a brand spanking new IDE disk with NO partition information),
> once I rebooted into the 03-29 boot disk it displayed the opening screen
> as per usual and the kernel booted and things were OK.  So I assume
> there is a dependency on having a pre-partitioned disk to work with.
> Which is a `bad' assumption.

I think your assumption is not right. Until you hit [ENTER] it is the
syslinux boot-loader who has been running, and I don't think it does
anything  with partitions and such stuff. I was tempted to associate the
"failed to format the first screen" part with the new screenfonts
handling included in syslinux, but I haven't seen other reports about
such strange behaviour. Have you tried with another copy of the same
floppy? Sometimes damaged floppy surface leads to errors in the booting
phase.

> Second:
> I found a minor typo in the "Choose Network Interface" dialog:  it says
> "Ethernet of Fast Ethernet" -- the "of" should read "or".

Oops, fixed.

> Third:
> The mount command on the 03-29 boot disks fails to mount NFS filesystems.
> I had to use the 02-20 bootdisk to load the base system from my NFS server.

As busybox had a simple "mount" function inside, I removed the full
featured mount from the boot floppy. I forgot checking for NFS support in
mount-in-busybox.

I will see how hard is to add that support to the current code, and if
it can't be done in a few hours I will move the full featured mount back
into the boot floppy.

> Fortunately, it was possible to use the 02-20 disks with the base system
> from 03-29.  But I had to change floppies way too many times :(
>
> I've got a few more systems to install this month.  So please get a new
> version out there quickly and I'll do some more debugging ...

Expect a new version in a few days.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es