Re: spam in lists (bug list mainly)

On Sat, Apr 04, 1998 at 09:57:56AM -0500, Igor Grobman wrote:
> > Am I the only one getting narked at the amount of spam in these lists - the
> > situation on bugs is getting silly.  If we had been able to prosecute those
> > responsible like it was said somewhere ("you can post commercial items to
> > these lists for a donation of $1000" IIRC), then we could all retire by now!
>
> Do you know a lawyer who could do this for us?

I wish!

> > Even though some of the spams come from randomized addresses, some are
> > repeated time and time again, is there some way that we could filter these
> > you (i.e. filter by content as well as address)?
>
> No, the addresses are always different, unless all messages were sent at the
> same time.  Every time there is a spam that could be filtered out in the
> future, we do that.  I send out complaints for all the spam that we get, and
> block the isp's that don't respond, or refuse to fight spam.  We also use RBL
> which takes care of blocking most known spammers.

The point I was making was that although the address changes, the content
often stays the same. It might be possible to check all posts with the last
ten spams - if the contents match then don't let the message into the
mailing list and RBL the address.

> All list mail coming from aol is now filtered and resent to spam@debian.org.
> If it's a real message, I can resend it.  This way, I am the only one who gets
> spammed ;-).

A truly courageous act!

[moved]
> If you've been watching, you know that most latest spam was coming with similar
> subjects from aol accounts.  Every time, I've sent out complaints to AOL, they
> cancelled the accounts, but apparently this same person keeps signing on.

> > I hear that usenet is now 40% spam, 40% spam-cancels, 20% other (of which
> > 10% is worth reading).  ISPs which host known spammers and don't kick them
> > off should have the UDP (usenet death penalty) and a mail block imposed
> > against them.
>
> Yes, this is being done, and it's called RBL (maps.vix.com/rbl)

I should have been clearer - mail block the ISP if it's customers are
causing a high percentage of problems. Since AOL give out so many free
accounts with no checking then it is their own fault - they are not being
reponsible.  Sometimes I think the only way to close down the spammers is to
blacklist places like AOL. When people stop using AOL because they can't
post anywhere AOL will sit up and do something about it.  Prevention is
better than a cure.

> Igor
> The debian-spam person, who must note that as it sometimes happens, the
> discussion of spam has taken more bandwidth than spam itself ;-).

True - it was the announcment of the usenet cancel that really woke me up -
Demon quote 22GB of usenet a day - i.e 4.5GB of Usenet, 17.5GB spam/cancels
- what a *complete* waste of bandwidth.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | 2.0 release soon - over 1800
PGP key available on public key servers  | packages on a stable OS