Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

On 4 Apr 1998, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 03.04.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980403092636.2421C-100000@dwarf.polaris.net·2>:
>
> > On 3 Apr 1998, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > > That seems quite nonsensical. There's *no* way to "not follow" a symlink;
> > > if you get or cd a symlink, following it is what will happen.
> >
> > This is simply not true. Mount a Debian Official CD on a dos machine; use
> > Norton Commander and go to the msdos-i386 directory on the disk; select
> > some files and copy them somewhere on the hard disk; the result is a bunch
> > of zero length files.
>
> Umm, you didn't use FTP anywhere.
>
> > The same exact thing occurs with some DOS and Windows FTP clients.
>
> Umm, those never touch the original file system through their own file
> system APIs.
>
> Not only is it not "the same exact thing", it actually has absolutely
> nothing in common.

I don't know how we got into a 70 69 73 73 ing contest over how this
works. My only point in each case has been that the results are, under
some clients in DOS, neither the desired or the expected result. This is
all that I assert to be indisputable, and I don't see what the technical
issues that lead to these failures have to do with the problem. (I realise
that they are more interesting to some...)

Dispite much education about how the various pieces fail to work together
it doesn't seem that we have arrived at any more viable solution than the
flawed one we have in hand at the moment?

I'm willing to stop worrying about the brokenness of DOS if everyone else
it ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf