Re: APT broken ?

On 3 Apr 1998, Gregory S. Stark wrote:

> G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@newton.physics.arizona.edu> writes:
> > OK I'll close the bug report.
>
> Please don't close it, though you might change the severity to wishlist.
>
> This is a serious problem and really has to be solved eventually.
> In particular it makes apt completely useless on this system where
> I have a couple packages installed but unconfigured because I don't
> want to install the packages they depend on.

I have no intention of supporting this in the near future. I suggest you
look at the equivs package.

Thinks like this wreck havok with the ordering algorithm and the
installation sanity checks and if you want to disable those then apt
provides no benifit for you.

Sounds to me however that in your case the packages you are speaking about
should recommend/suggest and not depend on the packages in question,
depends sort of suggests the package is either inoperable or significantly
broken without the package installed.

Jason