Re: APT broken ?

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@newton.physics.arizona.edu> writes:
> OK I'll close the bug report.

Please don't close it, though you might change the severity to wishlist.

This is a serious problem and really has to be solved eventually.
In particular it makes apt completely useless on this system where
I have a couple packages installed but unconfigured because I don't
want to install the packages they depend on.

Yes this violates the debian packaging dependencies, but I know the packages
involved and I know what I intend to use them for. The dependencies are
correct for the normal case but irrelevant for my purposes.

Dselect and dpkg-* handled this fine and it's really quite important that the
packaging system be able to handle this situation. Not just try to fix the
situation, but if I ask it, to ignore the broken packages entirely.

greg