Re: Obsolete/local packages

> On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Erv Walter wrote:
>
> > I have several packages installed that are listed as obsolete/local
> > and that are not in project/orphaned (so presumably aren't related to
> > the recent freeze).  Most of these have accumulated over the last 6+
> > months as I stayed up to date with unstable.  Now I need to know what
> > to do to "fix" them.  Now seems as good a time as any.
> >

> > Orphaned/local:
> >
> > base
>
> Truely obsolete, but not particularly easy to get rid of.  Best bet is:
>
> :> /var/lib/dpkg/info/base.list
> dpkg --purge base

I would not recommend this. I have a system here
which had the base package installed (is it a
leftover from rex ?) and did a
dpkg -r --force-remove-essential...
It removes most of the files from the /dev
directory and after creation of most of them
with MAKEDEV I still have complaints about
utmp missing or something similar.

Have a look with dpkg -L base and you will
see what I mean...

Joop