Re: ppp and new users

> I wrote:
> > How do you tell bind to use different forwarders when the user dials up a
> > different isp?
>
> MfG Kai writes:
> > You don't. List all of them together. Bind knows how to cope.
>
> I guess I'm missing something.  Looks like named will just use the first
> one that works.  Better than the resolver, which will only try the first
> three nameservers, but still not quite the right thing, IMHO.

I am not sure whether you want forwarders at all for the dialup case. They
are intended for the situation where you have several name servers, all
connected to each other on a lan, plus a lower speed link to the rest of the
net. You can then make one of your nameservers the 'master' and forward
queries through it, so it will get to cache a lot of names.

For the dial up account case your ISPs name server probably has enough to do
serving all the Windows users, and will be in your cache anyway as a candidate
for being queried because you will almost certainly refer to something related
to it early on.

	John Lines

p.s. What I would like to see (another major project on the back burner) is
a way for a name server to write its cache to disk, and reload it when it
starts - for people with laptops with an internet connection.