Re: strange man behavior

We seem to be having trouble communicating. As I have new information that
bears on the root of this discusion, I suggest we table things as they are
and look at the new data point.

I have had the manpages package installed for several days now and only
just recieved the following:

dwarf# man path
Updating index cache for path `/usr/man'. Wait...man: warning:
/usr/man/man7/undocumented.7.gz is a dangling symlink
man: can't open /usr/man/man2/modules.2: No such file or directory
man: warning: /usr/man/man2/modules.2.gz: bad symlink or ROFF `.so'
request
Updating index cache for path `/usr/man'. Wait...man: warning:
/usr/man/man7/regex.7.gz is a dangling symlink
man: can't open /usr/man/man3/regex.3: No such file or directory
man: warning: /usr/man/man3/regex.3.gz: bad symlink or ROFF `.so' request
done.
No manual entry for path

This is likely to be very troublesome to the new user.

I'm not suggesting that man-db should change its behavior...we just need
to clean this up.

When I found out that the manpages package contained the undocumented.7
manpage, I thought that was the solution. It doesn't appear that that is
the case!

Also note that this behavior only occures when a search is required that
goes outside the database cache.

How do we clean up these links?

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 fpolacco@icenet.fi wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 1998 at 09:15:56AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I hear what you are saying, but it doesn't speak to my question. How does
> > any of this make it inappropriate for a man browser to suggest/recommend
> > the manpages package?
> >
> > I'm not trying to make you responsible for the problem, but I don't see
> > why you are so opposed to fixing this little nit in this fashion? So far
> > you haven't addressed the issue, but only talked about other, unrelated
> > issues.
> >

> Probably I didn't succeed in showing my thoughts.
> I'm not opposing to fix that little thing.
> I just say that as no package installing a manpage should be made dependendet
> (or even suggest) a man-browser, as well no man-browser should recommend some
> package installing manpage.
> This is after policy.
> man-browsers aren't needed to read manpages (groff instead is; I, for example,
> use less as a secondary manpage reader), so man-db has no need to recommend or
> suggest any manpage because it provides several by itself (and this should
> suffice its usefullness), while none can say which manpages a user want to
> have installed in its system (why manpages and not manpages-de ?)
>
> On another side, "info" package doesn't recommend/suggest any package
> installing some info docs, or even it doesn't recommend a man-browser (this
> could be a bug, because info calls man to display manpages).
>
> I hope my english be enough plain to express the concept.
>

> cheers
> fab
> --
> | fpolacco@icenet.fi    fpolacco@debian.org    fpolacco@pluto.linux.it
> | Líder Minimo del Pluto    -     Debian Developer & Happy Debian User
> | 6F7267F5 fingerprint 57 16 C4 ED C9 86 40 7B 1A 69 A1 66 EC FB D2 5E
> > more than 32 months are needed to get rid of the millennium. [me]
>

> --

Dwarf
--
Still sigless