Re: ldconfig or not

David Engel writes:
 > > we better change my bible, the Debian Packaging Manual, Chapter 12, where
 > > it says:
 > >
 > > | If you do the above your package does not need to call ldconfig in its
 > > | maintainer scripts. It is especially important not to call ldconfig in
 > > | the postrm or preinst scripts in the case where the package is being
 > > | upgraded (see Details of unpack phase of installation or upgrade,
 > > | section 6.3), as ldconfig will see the temporary names that dpkg uses
 > > | for the files while it is installing them and will make the shared
 > > | library links point to them, just before dpkg continues the
 > > | installation and removes the links!
 >
 > This issue has come up several times but nobody has ever fixed the
 > Debian documentation.  ldconfig should (must if the library is not in
 > /lib or /usr/lib) always be called in the postinst script.  The rest
 > about not calling ldconfig from postrm and preinst scripts is correct.

Then lintian should be made to report this case as an error, and
dh_makeshlibs from debhelper should add the call to ldconfig.  That
would simplify the handling of this problem.

Also, i think lintian will make it possible to automate the
mass-reporting.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: