Re: ldconfig or not

On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 12:12:48AM -0500, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> [You ("David Engel")]
> >This is correct -- you must run ldconfig.  If the new libraries are
> >installed into /lib or /usr/lib, you can get away with not running
> >ldconfig but you should still run it anyway to get the entries into
> >/etc/ld.so.cache.
>
> Wait a minute.  If this is indeed the case, and I'm not convinced it is,

Well, since I am the author of ldconfig, I think I have a pretty good
idea of how it works with the dynamic linkers. :)

> we better change my bible, the Debian Packaging Manual, Chapter 12, where
> it says:
>
> | If you do the above your package does not need to call ldconfig in its
> | maintainer scripts. It is especially important not to call ldconfig in
> | the postrm or preinst scripts in the case where the package is being
> | upgraded (see Details of unpack phase of installation or upgrade,
> | section 6.3), as ldconfig will see the temporary names that dpkg uses
> | for the files while it is installing them and will make the shared
> | library links point to them, just before dpkg continues the
> | installation and removes the links!

This issue has come up several times but nobody has ever fixed the
Debian documentation.  ldconfig should (must if the library is not in
/lib or /usr/lib) always be called in the postinst script.  The rest
about not calling ldconfig from postrm and preinst scripts is correct.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road