Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

rdm@test.legislate.com (Raul Miller)  wrote on 26.03.98 in <[🔎] 19980326173452.49512@hazel>:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > What keeps mirror from recognizing the hardness of the link and
> > reproducing the hard link in the local directory? I'm not suggesting
> > that mirror is currently capable of this, just trying to figure out
> > why it couldn't be.
>
> There's no way to distinguish between a copied file and a hardlinked
> file, without enhancing ftp.  Thus, all files must be downloaded
> (and md5sums compared -- presumably you maintain a sorted list
> of md5s during download) to implement this.  With symlinks, you
> can avoid the redundant downloads.

I should mention that a RFC that contains the necessary enhancements is
actually in the works: draft-ietf-ftpext-mlst-*.txt in the RFC draft
repositories. Essentially, it's a new listing format that allows you to
include all sorts of useful stuff (like, say, device/inode information) in
a machine-parsable way.

MfG Kai