Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Joey Hess wrote:
> >

> > > I wonder, have you ever considered using hardlinks? It seems to me that
> > > would eliminate a lot of problems people have mirroring things (if mirror
> > > programs handle them correctly), and simplify your work too.
> > >
> > Hard links would specially help with the msdos directory, as several
> > dos/windows ftp clients don't follow symlinks and the user ends up with a
> > bunch of zero length files.
> >
> > What's the penalty Guy?
>
> It would increase by 100% the mirrors size I guess.

What keeps mirror from recognizing the hardness of the link and
reproducing the hard link in the local directory? I'm not suggesting that
mirror is currently capable of this, just trying to figure out why it
couldn't be.

> Moreover, it fixes the symptoms, but not the problem...
> I'd rather vote for putting a working DOS FTP client in the tools/
> directory...

Well, while your solution allows the dos user to recover from this
mistake, it probably will not keep it from happening. We are back to
talking about first impressions here.

As a second thought to the mirror problem, why not just create a script
that will create the msdos directory from the rest of the tree?

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
Still sigless