Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

[You (john@dhh.gt.org)]
>Jeff Sheinberg writes:
>> Why muck with something you don't need?  From resolv.conf(5)

>These are not "normally configured" systems.  They are dialup boxes with
>dynamic addresses and intermittent connections.

I run bind on my box.  I agree with Craig that we should recommend bind
on any sort of system.  However, this may not be suitable for a base
installation, i.e., trying to get ppp going so one can pull down the rest
of the packages.

>> I guess that if you aren't running bind, then you do need
>> /etc/resolv.conf after all.

>The obvious way to do
>this is to put all the nameservers in resolv.conf and re-order it for each
>connection.  I find this distasteful.  Is there a cleaner way to achieve a
>the same result with bind?

Could you use the update-alternatives mechanism to rotate
/etc/resolv.conf scripts?