Re: ppp and new users (was: Re: Tecnology and marketing)

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> yes. if bind is installed, then /etc/resolv.conf can have "nameserver
> 127.0.0.1". as long as bind is not configured in slave mode, it should
> work perfectly. actually, even if it is in slave mode it should work
> fine too....i don't think anybody ever bothers firewalling incoming udp
> port 53 (dns) requests as that would be a bit counter-productive :-).

If this is true, then it's absolutely a better solution than I was
suggesting.  Well, I was only suggesting the config file mess because
I couldn't think of anything better.

What happens when the ppp link goes down, though?  I think one of the
reasons I came up with my (messy) solution was that unless I modified
the DNS config when the link went down, things would hang.

> installing bind on a debian box is trivial. select it in dselect is
> all it takes. it only gets complicated when you want to run as
> primary or secondary for a domain.

I agree, other than the config file mess I created, it was simple to
set up.  Oh, and we talked about this before, but I'm not sure if we
ever resolved it.  Have we found a good solution for DNS setup wrt the
MTA, etc. when faced with ppp link(s) and dynamic IP(s)?

When I came up with my bind configuration, I had to hack in a local
(bogus) domain, .localnet, to get some apps not to freak out when I
mentioned my machine's name (raven) which doesn't really exist as far
as "official" DNS is concerned.  As I recall, having raven listed as
an alias for localhost didn't work.  I was (and am) a little confused
by that.  Anyway I think I've probably made this a bit more difficult
than it should be.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>