Re: ppp and new users

rlb@cs.utexas.edu (Rob Browning)  wrote on 26.03.98 in <[🔎] 87k99gln59.fsf@nevermore.csres.utexas.edu>:

> What happens when the ppp link goes down, though?  I think one of the
> reasons I came up with my (messy) solution was that unless I modified
> the DNS config when the link went down, things would hang.

IF you have dynamic IPs, then you probably want to "ndc reload" whenever
your link goes up or down. This is what I do here; it makes bind realize
the available interfaces have changed. Works like a charm.

Otherwise, bind might try to use an old IP to resolve names, which will
not work.

> When I came up with my bind configuration, I had to hack in a local
> (bogus) domain, .localnet, to get some apps not to freak out when I
> mentioned my machine's name (raven) which doesn't really exist as far
> as "official" DNS is concerned.  As I recall, having raven listed as
> an alias for localhost didn't work.  I was (and am) a little confused
> by that.  Anyway I think I've probably made this a bit more difficult
> than it should be.

There were some weird interactions with glibc 2. I _think_ they are
cleared up by now.

You probably need to have some minimal entries in /etc/hosts.

MfG Kai