Re: The UNIX/Linux representative at Monday's Netscape compile..

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> > SO let me get this straight....they store BOTH my uncompressed..standard, unix
> > mailbox format messages AND
> > a compressed version of the same thing in the same directory??
>
> Yes.
>
> > am I the only one who thinks that that is a massive waste?
>
> I am not privy to the reasons for going with this approach.
>
> > I mean I understan dthat it speeds things up but... it just doesn't make sense to
> > me
>
> What would be a better approach?

well netscape is rather quick about rebuilding the compressed data after you erase
it...why not just rebuild it every time it is run (hmmm maybe encapuslate it in a
wrapper
that deletes all of those compressed versions?)

> > (its funny...in the win95 version that I use at work...
> > I just 10 mins ago did just as you said because the files had become corrupt...
> > but instead of crashing it said that there were 2 unread messages in debian-devel
>
> I realized after I had mailed my previous post that I was not very clear.
> The file you have to blow away is the summary / compressed file and not the
> actual mailbox file.

yes I figured that ...I thought you were very clear.

> > when there were NO unread messages...it was always off by 2)

> Are you sure?  How do you have your mails sorted?  Try going to the 'Next
> Unread' and see what happens.

I did that....I even sorted by whetehr it was read or not....none of them were shown as
unread.
my mails are sorted with the nice "mail filters" to take anything with a CC or TO of
debian-devel@lists.debian.org and put it in the folder debian-devel
and when I deleted the summery / archive ...the problem went away

> > btw I have noticed prefs.js also tends to get corrupted easily
> Really?  I have never had that happen to me.

I find that ALOT of the time when I have netscape crashing right on startup...deleting
that file tends to fix it (on win95 mainly BUT I have had to do it on linux too)-Steve