Re: The UNIX/Linux representative at Monday's Netscape compile..

Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> SO let me get this straight....they store BOTH my uncompressed..standard, unix
> mailbox format messages AND
> a compressed version of the same thing in the same directory??

Yes.

> am I the only one who thinks that that is a massive waste?

I am not privy to the reasons for going with this approach.

> I mean I understan dthat it speeds things up but... it just doesn't make sense to
> me

What would be a better approach?

> (its funny...in the win95 version that I use at work...
> I just 10 mins ago did just as you said because the files had become corrupt...
> but instead of crashing it said that there were 2 unread messages in debian-devel

I realized after I had mailed my previous post that I was not very clear.
The file you have to blow away is the summary / compressed file and not the
actual mailbox file.

> when there were NO unread messages...it was always off by 2)

Are you sure?  How do you have your mails sorted?  Try going to the 'Next
Unread' and see what happens.

> btw I have noticed prefs.js also tends to get corrupted easily
Really?  I have never had that happen to me.

Thaths
--
  "If a gun can protect something as important as a bar, it is good
         enough to protect my family." -- Homer J. Simpson