XFree86 3.3.2 status report.

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 07:43:38AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Slight change of plans, for the better.
>
> The version I upload will be 3.3.2-1.  Since the last build I was doing
> bombed for a stupid reason which you'll never get me to fess up to, I went
> ahead and applied the fixes for all critical and grave bugs against the X
> packages.  I'd have gone after the important ones, too, but there isn't an
> easy list of all important bugs on the bugs page yet.
>
> Provided this build succeeds (I give it 50-50 odds), we'll have an XFree86
> release deserving of a -1 Debian version.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news first.  For some reason XF86Setup is not building (as in
not building *at all*, not just failing to be moved into the right
place for stuffing into a .deb).  This causes build failure of the
xserver-vga16 package.  All the other standard i386 .debs are on master
in /debian2/tmp/xfree86 , for those developers who need them or just
can't wait.  These are "unofficial" -1's, so it's your responsibility to
install the real -1's over them when they materialize.

I am investigating this difficulty and once I think I've solved it, I will
start building again.

The good news is that a total of 16 bugs, all of critical, grave, or
important severity, will be fixed with this release.  Three important bugs
remain outstanding: 19815, 19442, and 16636.  Any insanely altruistic
people who'd like to look into these, please do, otherwise I'll get to them
once -1 is done.

Sorry for the delay.  A build/crash/start-over cycle of time of between two
and two and a half hours is not fun, and I don't feel good about hitting
master's drives so hard.  On the bright side, I can only get better at
wrestling this monster.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  Murphy's Guide to Science:
Purdue University                   |  If it's green or squirms, it's biology.