Archive Maintenance - make it a job?

Hi all,

I think everybody here can agree that we have a major bottleneck in
our release schedule due to the huge amount of work involved in doing
archive maintenance.

We still don't have a 'frozen' and a 'slink' (?) distribution set up
in the archive - and the freeze happened over a week ago.

I'm sympathetic to Guy's ordeal - I am sure that there is an awful lot
of work involved in switching things around.  Taking on that job is
like throwing oneself in front of an oncoming train.

It would have been much simpler to move buggy and alpha-quality
software to slink and leave it out of hamm altogether.  Now that it
has been moved to project/orphaned - much of it will need to be
recompiled and re-uploaded unnecessarily (even for stuff that isn't
going to be released with hamm).  That's a huge waste of developer
resources.

I propose that we start raising funds to pay for a part-time (4 hours
per day) employee who's entire job is to manage the archive and do
other miscellaneous maintenance tasks.  I think you could probably get
a qualified individual to do such stuff for ~$10k per year.  I don't
think we would have much trouble raising the funds, we already have a
corporate structure set up -- and it would really ease the aggravating
delays on our "critical path".

Is that a hare-brained idea, or not?

Cheers,

 - Jim