Re: New handling of scripts external to PPPD (ie ip-up, ip-down)

On 23 Mar 1998, Ulf Fredriksson wrote:

> Adam Heath <adam.heath@usa.net> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Adam Heath wrote:
> >
> > > I have never liked the idea of having to edit either ip-up, or ip-down each
> > > time I want to add a script into the ppp chain.  This is also hard for
> > > separate packages to do automatically, without errors.
> >
> > Success!  I now have no need of a connect option inside of pppd.  Currently,
> > pppd calls /etc/ppp-functions like this:
> > "/etc/ppp/ppp-functions[8360] /dev/ttyS1 862-4141 michnet
> > adam.heath@voyager.net"
>
> Great... Anyone doing this as a package (or the like) or is this a policy issue?
>
> I for one vote _for_ this behaviour, it would make the whole PPP config much simpler
> for a beginner (and easier for the experienced admin) to administer.

I will be making a small package that uses diversions to replace pppd with one
that supports this setup.  I have done more programming, and now, the external
script is looking up the proper modem strings.  Here is a copy of the modem
file.

modem boca28.8_MV34.I
	baud 115200
	flow hardware
	init ATZ
	init ATE1
	dial ATDT
	hangup +++
	hangup ATH
	reset ATZ
	abort 2 BUSY
	abort 3 NO CARRIER
	abort -1 VOICE
	abort -1 NO DIAL TONE
	abort -1 ERROR
	report CONNECT
	report CARRIER
	connect CONNECT
	ok OK

---
There is no hard-coded text in the shell scripts.  The number that follows
abort is how long to delay before redialing.  When redialing, multiple numbers
can be used in a round-robin type fashion.

This all works here.  The redial works(pppd never knows that it is taken
several redial attempts).  Multiple phone numbers work(tested with 5551212 and
555-1212, and having the modem line unplugged).  I haven't written the report
routines, but that will come soon.

Unfortunately, this can't be in frozen(2.0).  Unless, many people speak up.
This modification, however, isn't complete yet.  I will be working on it quite
a bit the next 2 days(no work).

Adam