Re: Base-passwd issues

On Mar 19, Ulf Fredriksson wrote:
> Scott Ellis <storm@gate.net> writes:
> > >
> > > It's needed for mounting dos file systems:
> > > /dev/hda1       /dosc   umsdos user,noexec,nodev,nosuid,rw,noauto,uid=0,gid=35,umask=007 0 0
> >
> > Note USEFUL, not NEEDED.  You can easily create your own dos group outside
> > the 0-99 range if you want.
>
> You don't need it at all...
>
> /dev/hda1  /dosc  usdos user,noexec,nodev,nosuid,rw  0 0
>
> All other options is irrelevant...

True, you do not need the dos group for mounting a DOS partition.

However, Marco was using the umask and gid options of the msdos filesystem
to create an access list of who could use the partition. This is useful -
not irrelevant.

IMHO, If we want this feature to be more accessible to users, then
more documentation is the answer, not more entries in the passwd file.

(Unless we can integrate it with the installation scripts so fstab has
the correct gid number from the get-go)
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@oz.net
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power.